Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Quilting Gene

Hello Everyone,

Is there a gene in the human DNA for quilting? If you met my nine-year-old granddaughter Harleigh, you would probably agree that such a gene exists. Harleigh has been wrapped in my quilts since birth so she must have an instinct for quilting that seeped into her every pore through quilting osmosis.

She was so proud of her quilt which is going to be a gift to her Mom. She picked out all of her colors on her own.....without help. I was amazed to see just how well her seams matched.


Harleigh spent a fun week at In Between Stitches Kid's Camp taught by Dee Christopher. If you ever get the opportunity to take a class from Dee.....by all means jump at the chance. Dee is a party-time (Freudian slip...I meant part-time) employee at the shop. She is also a designer, check out her website here http://www.deevinequilts.com/ and best of all, Dee is a natural-born teacher. Dee teaches beginning quilting to adults and children. She also teaches classes from her own designs.
I started working with Harleigh when she was 8 and her feet could just barely reach the foot pedal of the sewing machine. She has always loved playing with my scraps and would arrange the squares and triangles into interesting designs.


She loves color....the brighter the better.

In the next couple of weeks, we are going to load her quilts onto the long-arm quilting machine so she can quilt them herself. I have a feeling that she will be quilting rings around me soon.
What a little doll! The time we spend together builds memories to last a lifetime. I still remember the happy hours I spent sewing and quilting with my Grandmother. Little did she know at the time the gift she gave to me.

Share your favorite hobby or passion with a child. They will love you for it. Trust me, you will gain just as much from the experience as they do.
As always,
Lynn




No comments:

Post a Comment