Tuesday, March 1, 2011

You don't have to make a quilt by it's cover!!

Hello Everyone,

It's done....finally, the second Summer's Blush quilt that I'm going to rename Pinwheels in the Stars. The name Summer's Blush just did not fit this quilt at all.

The difference between the two quilts is just amazing.  The hexagon flowers show up so much better in the darker quilt.  I like the red polka dot posts in the lighter quilt.  The new quilt is smaller by one row in the length and width making it 67" x 67".  The "peachy" quilt is 80" x 80".


I'm happy with both of them, but my preference is leaning toward the smaller of the two.

What a difference the choice of fabric makes!


I told the girls in my class that I would have this one quilted by our next class meeting.  I put my nose to the grindstone and got this one finished for the Shop Hop that begins this Thursday.  I worked on the binding through the whole Academy Awards show and then some.

So I guess the moral of this post is you don't have to make a quilt by it's cover!  Experiment with color.  Change things up a bit.  Have fun with the whole process from the planning, to the shopping for fabric either in a shop or your own stash.  Play with your fabric.  DO NOT BE AFRAID!  What is the worst thing that could happen if you use a fabric that you are not quite sure of? The fabric police will not show up at your home.  Quilting is supposed to be fun and I had lots and lots of fun designing and making both of these quilts.
(But I must admit I'm glad it is finally finished and I don't plan on making another one!)

I can't wait until March 15th when I hold my next class meeting for Summer's Blush/Pinwheels in the Stars.  The quilts are all going to be different, spectacular, colorful and unique!  Stayed tuned for pictures.

As always,

Lynn

10 comments:

  1. So educational to see a quilt made in two such different colorways! Thanks for sharing. I like the pattern too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE them both!! Spectacular!! I especially like the light one...so soft and subtle!!

    Love it!
    Paulette

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both quilts are winners. Sometimes thinking outside the box ( or the picture on the cover of the pattern, in this case ) can result in truly wonderful results. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love them both too however I'm definitely more partial to the darker one. Stunning!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! They look totally different. I keep comparing the pictures, because I just didn't believe it. Wow! But like children, I couldn't pick a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are both gorgeous quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lynn, Both quilts are just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing how different the two are and both beautiful, Lynn! I love seeing the same quilt made differently - it really helps me to think outside the lines in terms of what fabric to choose for a pattern!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've only got one thing to say, (which is unusual for me, I know, and that is WOWW!

    ReplyDelete