Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Winterset from Blueberry Crumb Cake Fabric

Hello Everyone,

I should be decorating and sending out Christmas cards, instead I'm working on my new design called Winterset, made from Blackbird Designs new Blueberry Crumb Cake fabric.  The yardage isn't available at the shop yet, so I'm only working with the blues and whites from a fat quarter tower. 


I was able to squeeze out twelve blocks which was challenging.  I spent most of yesterday designing the center section for this quilt.  I'll be able to show you more tomorrow.  This has taken me out of my comfort zone colorwise.  I do not work within the confines of a limited color palette, but these blues had me from the very first time I set eyes on them.


I never planned to put an applique design in this quilt until yesterday at 4:23am.  Light bulbs started going off in my head, and no, it wasn't the paparazzi!  I jumped out of bed, made my coffee, grabbed a mechanical pencil, gridded paper, and started drawing.

I would like to get this as far along as I can before Sunday, December 4th for the shop's preview party at the Purple Orchid Inn.  What is a preview party you ask?  Well, at In Between Stitches, we have quarterly preview parties displaying the quilts, and projects being offered as classes over the next few months.  It gives everyone a heads-up for upcoming classes so you can mark your calendars, schedule time off work, and make plans for quilting over the next four months.

I will probably be the ONLY instructor holding up three flimsies.  But they are beautiful flimsies and guaranteed to be quilted by the time the classes roll around.

Today I'll be working with (not eating) Blueberry Crumb cake fabric filling the center section with absolute loveliness....well I think so.  If not, then it's back to the drawing board.  And you know there is going to be a blue flange someplace in this quilt!

As always,

Lynn

8 comments:

  1. Coming together just lovely Lynn. I also am very fond of the fabrics. Currently I am working on a Blue and Cream quilt - My Blue Heaven. I have a few pictures up on my blog, which shows this combined pieced and appliqued quilt - a style I am growing to really appreciate; and I enjoy both techniques equally well. I also have plans for a blue and white, "frosty" Christmas quilt, which I have been collecting fabrics for. Can't wait to see the applique section of your design. Good luck, Heidi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I thought of a flange the minute I opened up your blog today, Lynn! I love this fabric and wish I had some sitting on my work table right now! I can hardly wait to see the center applique - I know it will be a knockout!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, you've got my attention! I can't wait to see what you do with the center.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes Lynn, I can see a flange around the centre piece..this is going to be so gorgeous!
    Julia ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely LOVE this. Blue is not a colour I normally go for either, but this fabric has been calling me ever since I first saw it. The colours really remind me of Wedgewood china - very British.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This fabric line is beautiful! Love what you are doing! Can't wait to see how the middle turns out too!

    ReplyDelete