Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Country Corners Month #1

Hello Everyone,

It's the 2nd Tuesday of the month and that means it's Country Corners online BOM.  You don't need to sign up, you can just follow along if you'd like.  I will post the cutting directions on the 2nd Tuesday of every month. 

This month you will be making the components for a 9" block that could look like this.  My friend Susan made this beautiful block last month while she was testing out the directions.


You can use the cutting instructions listed below, and follow along with the piecing techniques in my Patchwork Math book.


You will be in the driver's seat for this block of the month.  I will give you a cutting guideline, you decide how you want to arrange the components.  If you have the book, you can use the formulas and make the blocks larger or smaller.....you choose.  You also choose how many blocks you would like to make.  Do you want a small quilt or a king-size.....again, it's up to you.  (Fabric packs for this colorway are available HERE.)



We will be putting a quilt together by the end of the year.  I'll be using all reproduction fabrics in my blocks.  I'll decide how I'm going to set them a little further down the road.  I have a couple of ideas, but nothing is firmly set in cement.

You may decide on something entirely different, and that is great!  Be creative, use the cutting guidelines and just GO FOR IT!

The number in ( ) denotes how many pieces to cut

Half-Square Triangles – (8) Directions on Page #4
   Cut (2) 5” x 5” squares – (1) dark and (1) light background

    Trim to 2” x 2”

   Finished size will be 1-1/2” x 1-1/2”

Square in a Square – (1) Directions on Page #12
Cut (1) Base 2-5/8” x 2-5/8”  Fussy cut an attractive center

 Cut (2) Corners 2-3/8” x 2-3/8” a complimentary color

Trim to 3-1/2 x 3-1/2”

 Finished size will be 3” x 3”

Flying Geese – (4) Directions on Page #17 
Cut (1) Goose 4-1/2” x 4-1/2” from dark fabric

Cut (4) Wings 2-1/2” x 2-1/2” from light background

 Trim to 3-1/2” x 2”

 Finished size will be 3” x 1-1/2”

Double Flying Geese – (4) Direction on Page #19
Cut (1) Goose 4-1/2” x 4-1/2” from dark fabric

Cut (4) Wings 2-1/2” x 2-1/2” from light background

Cut (8) Sky 2” x 2” from red

Trim to 3-1/2” x 2”

Finished size will be 3” x 1-1/2”

Squares
Cut (8) 2” x 2” squares from light background
Square in a square, double flying geese, flying geese and half square triangles
Here are some of the variations you can put together using the different quilting components.  The choices are endless.  You can use the same fabric, but change up the placement, and you have an entirely different block.  You could make a whole quilt using only the components above.  Just vary your fabrics and placement.







 
The 2nd Tuesday of the month is when my Sew'n Wild Oaks class meets at In Between Stitches.  A couple of the girls made the following blocks during class last month to test out the directions for me.  They brought their own fabrics and made some beautiful blocks.  Again, all of the same components as outlined above, and look at the difference!
 

 
This morning, the Sew'n Wild Oaks girls and I are meeting at the shop for our monthly class.  You virtually join us today and be part of the group.  Some of them will be working on Country Corners right along with you.  If you don't have a blog, I'd love to have you send me pictures of your blocks and I will post them so everyone can see the infinite possibilities of quilting with components and making a Country Corners quilt.  If you have any questions, please email them to me at patched55@comcast.net and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.
 
Soon,
Lynn
 
P.S. NMSue please send me your email so I can thank you for all of your comments.  You are a "no reply" status and I can't thank you personally.
 
 

7 comments:

  1. Oh, boy - I'm going to do my best to follow this, Lynn! I assume the percent and copyright symbols don't mean anything?
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! I am going to give this my best shot at this block!

    Thanks, Lynn for your instructions!

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Such beautiful blocks and I love the way that the components can be used in so many different ways! I may not be able to sew along and keep up, but I will certainly watch this quiltalong with lots of interest. Thanks, Lynn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm intrigued! So you'll be presenting six pieced blocks total, and we can interpret as we choose?

    ReplyDelete