Monday, August 8, 2016

Lucy Boston Class Was In Session

Hello Everyone,
 
Fifteen quilters began their Lucy Boston journey in the "auxiliary" classroom at In Between Stitches last Saturday.  Here is just a small sample of the beginnings of some pretty fantastic blocks.
 


Once the paper pieces are all prepared, it is time to play with their arrangement.



I had the class make copies of their fabric first using the copy feature on a home printer.  If you create your shapes first on paper, it is easier to make intricate designs without wasting fabric.  I provide a numbered sheet making it easier to figure out what goes where.  I suggest that you number each piece so you know the exact orientation in the block.




This design was first made with paper.  It makes it so much easier to figure out what goes where and cutting placement.  The corners can be tricky if you aren't paying attention to orientation.  If you begin with paper first, you can take the paper pieces and place them directly on the fabric so you know where to cut the real deal.


 Now the block is starting to come alive in fabric.
 


 

As usual, I get so caught up in teaching, that I forget to take pictures of everyones work.  I missed out on several opportunities to show you some amazing blocks.  Sorry girls!  Bring your blocks to the shop so I can see them again and take pictures.

You were a great group!  So entertaining and just plain fun to spend the day together learning a new skill. 

In Between Stitches is sponsoring an English Paper Piecing Tea at the Purple Orchid Resort and Spa on Sept. 10th. I'll let you know more about it as details become available.  I do know that the Vice President of sales from Marcus Fabrics will be there and she's bringing "goodies"......and I don't mean food.  Fabric goodies!  We are taking sign-ups at the shop.  This is going to be a fun event and a great learning experience in a beautiful location.

Monday is my normal day to work at the shop.  Why be normal?  I have the day off since I filled in at the shop on Sunday.  I have planned so much for my day off that I can't possibly get to everything on my list.....but I'm going to try,  Ready, set, sew!

Soon,
Lynn

8 comments:

  1. Oh do I ever wish I could have been there, Lynn! Love the idea of the printing fabric on paper first! I may have to get on my magic broom and fly down for the paper piecing tea - oh wait...I wonder where it is ;>)
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic idea to make copies of the fabric. I haven't started my Lucy Boston yet - even though I have the paper pieces - and will definitely remember this trick. Thanks, Lynn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic idea to make copies of the fabric. I haven't started my Lucy Boston yet - even though I have the paper pieces - and will definitely remember this trick. Thanks, Lynn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Ideas are always springing forth from your creative little noggin'! I'll have to try that, since I'm thinking about putting together a traveling hexie kit!
    I'm with Candace...& my broom goes missing too...but I can usually always find my Turbo Charged vacuum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, I don't think I've done any fussy cutting since I had a home printer (and I've had a printer for a long time). It never occurred to me to copy fabric to play around with placement. What a neat idea! Especially to use those paper pattern pieces as templates.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic colour in Lucy Boston`s bloks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lynn you have a great idea there - I had not thought about doing that for my Lucy Boston (hum wonder where she went). I did that for my Brinton Hall - that is a wonderful suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH and of course - all of the pictures are great - looking forward to the rest.

    ReplyDelete