Friday, February 24, 2017

Patchwork Math Was In Session

Hello Everyone,
 

I've been playing hooky for the past couple of days enjoying the mountains, the extreme weather, and now the crystal blue sky with white puffy clouds. 
 
Here are a few images from the Patchwork Math class at Quail's Nest Quilt Company in Sonora, CA. Shop owner Susan took pictures for me since I left my camera at home! 
 
 
I had the pleasure of spending the day with 12 wonderful ladies.  They were eager learners and I saw many "light bulb" moments in the class.
 




I use a document camera and projector so everyone can see even if they are sitting at the back of the class.  I present a new technique and formula every hour, then the class makes the component. We covered how you make, and the formulas for, Half Square Triangles eight at a time, Flying Geese, Double Flying Geese, Square in a Square, Quarter Square Triangles, and Square in a Triangle.


Here's the versatile Y-square.  It makes a perfect sashing or border.
 


Look how Susan changed her Y-squares up to make this combination.


Here they are again in a pinwheel formation.


 
If you would like to find out how to make a Y-square, click HERE for my post all about Y-squares, calculations, and applications.


I loved spending the day with you girls at "The Nest".


Although it was rainy, windy and thundering outside, it was warm and cozy inside with a lot of good food provided by Susan.



The girls were busy and they worked hard learning and creating.  I know many of them are going to take this class to a higher level, and fly with the formulas and techniques I presented to them in class.

Getting out and meeting quilters is just about one of my favorite passions in life.  You are so interesting and interested.  You are friendly, fun, and I can't thank you, and Quail's Nest Quilt Company enough.

Soon,
Lynn

 

No comments:

Post a Comment